Company Overview: Expanding global supplier of assembly, testing, and welding equipment for the Automotive and Non-Automotive industries. We are seeking an Estimator/Process Engineer with a strong Design Engineering background in Assembly Automation to support automotive sales in our Southeast Michigan headquarters.
Basic Function: The Estimator/Process Engineering position requires an Equipment Design background and an understanding of Automotive Assembly Automation systems with focus on module assembly. Utilize standards, specifications and line-up information presented by the customer to develop competitive proposals. We will train the right candidate who has 5 years of machine design experience.
Duties and Responsibilities:
• Ability to define an assembly process with system layouts utilizing the process developed. Develop and identify detailed costs and associated customer proposals.
• Be proficient in AutoCAD to prepare system layouts and part overviews and Microsoft Excel for preparing detail cycle time charts.
• Be able to disseminate the customer’s Technical Specifications and the manufacturing feasibility of customer requested processes/ applications. Ability to propose required equipment and processes to meet customer requirements.
• Support the development of competitive technical process proposals and associated cost roll-up by coordinating with internal departments and the customer for the following: customer requirements, technical feasibility, process competitiveness, and cost competitiveness.
• Provide concept sketches, reference drawings and all required information for design personnel.
• Create innovative assembly, test & material handling system processes based on cycle time, cost, and product quality.
• Attend customer line-up meetings.
• After award, prepare sales orders, internal department kick-off documents and change tracking documents as required per project.
Ideal experience and skills:
• 5 years of experience in Mechanical Design.
• Manufacturing engineering background in Assembly Automation. Suspension modules are primary. Other Tier 1 automotive assembly areas include headliners, sunroofs, front end modules, instrument panels and automated material handling.
• Ability to interface appropriately with engineering, manufacturing and project management.
• Tooling and assembly system costing experience.
• Effective interpersonal skills with employees, management and customers.
• Technically competent with good judgment and analytical skills.
• Energetic, proactive, able to motivate others, and strong work ethic.
• Demonstrates honesty, integrity, personal moral character, and business ethical conduct.
• Understanding of customer application requirements and process selection to meet them.
• Knowledgeable in all Sales related Business process with emphasis on technical proposal development processes.
• Strong presentation, planning and organization skills.
Education: BSME/BSMET preferred or 5 years of relevant experience or relevant industry experience. A college degree is preferred but not required.
Experience: Minimum 5 years of experience depending on educational background.
Strong manufacturing, design engineering or estimating background in assembly automation.
Travel Requirements: Minimal overnight travel required.